ROAD TRIP - This blog is making a change of venue - a switch of setting! Hopefully, the trek will be seamless, but you'll want to change your bookmarks! The new URL is MarjiLaine.blogspot.com

Monday, June 13, 2011

What are YOU Reading? 11 Secrets Reveals Much!

I read non-fiction from time to time; Bible Studies, devotions, teacher editions and writing manuals.  Seldom do I actually read any of these books from cover to cover.  I leave that enjoyment to my accountant hubby who only discovered an enjoyment of fiction when the kids were young and he read the Little House books aloud to them.  Until then, his leisure reading included computer manuals and all of Chuck Swindoll's and Max Lucado's books.

Anyway, I broke with tradition last weekend when I came across the new nook book from Mary DeMuth, 11 Secrets of Getting Published.  Not only was the book informative, but it was terribly challenging.  Her chapters addressed  some of the most overwhelming areas to a novice writer, such as crafting the story, understanding what goes into publishing and marketing, and navigating writers' conferences.

I'm in the early steps of, what I hope to be, a publishing path, so I expected to focus mainly on the first few secrets, convinced that the last ones wouldn't really apply to me. Boy, was I wrong! The info and advice in this book just got juicier as I went along, and I confess, I didn't just read it. After every section I was pulling out my note pad and making lists of the next things I needed to do. In fact, after reading her first secret, I went through my novel for a 5th and 6th revision, going through every stinkin' sentence to check for her list of things I should avoid.

She designed her book in an article format, using postings she developed over a number of years on her retired blog, WannabePublished, and it's easy to see why that blog was so popular.  Filled with plain-speaking, direct advise, 11 Secrets would be beneficial to anyone hoping to pursue publication of any sort.

This e-book is available for only $2.99, but the 182 pages worth of expert advice is worth much more.  It can be downloaded for Kindle at Amazon at this link or you can get it for the Nook and other readers at Barnes and Noble at this link. Watch for it to come out in print!

What was the last non-fiction book you read?  Did you finish it?

No comments: