ROAD TRIP - This blog is making a change of venue - a switch of setting! Hopefully, the trek will be seamless, but you'll want to change your bookmarks! The new URL is MarjiLaine.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Weekend-spiration

I had a blog for this Far Side (by Gary Larson) cartoon all written and buttoned up, but I just can't use it. See I looked at this and focused on the bitterness of the comment. I know Christians aren't always viewed with smiles and welcomed greetings, but focusing on that just isn't my thing.

That doesn't mean it's not truth. Jesus told us that we would be hated because He was hated. It it what it is.

But I don't want to dwell in it.

I'd rather talk about the picture itself, birds traveling in their little design, sort of like the bumper art on so many of our cars.

There, that's where I want to go with this post! Those little fish bumper stickers that you see on people's cars. I have a friend that has 2 big fish and 3 little fish representing their family. Stinkin' cute idea, but my bumper isn't big enough for my family. And I have a friend with 7 kids - forgetaboutit!

So what happens when the car that just cut you off on the highway says, "Howdy," flashing the big silver fishy on his rear end? Ooops.  I have a feeling I've been that car before. Sorry 'bout that.

The fact is, we probably all have been guilty of displaying ourselves as Christians and then, in a self-absorbed moment, reacted poorly. That just means we have a reason to need a savior.

But the world looking on doesn't get it. They have expectations of Christians and we have to be as careful as possible to be sincere in our faith and our walk with the Lord. Folks are watching. If you don't believe me, take your little fishy bumper and start riding along the shoulder of the road in traffic!

I've seen a number of fish bumper stickers. I've also seen an atheistic one where the fish had legs. My favorite was a take off on that. The fish was eating the one with legs!

What are some of the best bumper stickers you've seen?

No comments: